Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Danger of Wanting Too Much Too Soon

Tremolo for Classical Guitar through Recuerdos de la Alhambra

When I first was learning Recuerdos, I wanted to learn it as soon as possible so that I could play it. At that time, the piece was probably beyond my level of guitarmanship (is that even a word?). Okay, how about beyond my proficiency level. But I slogged through it and performed it after "learning" it. I never really mastered the tremolo technique the first time through so here I am working through it again. This time I'm in no hurry to learn the piece because I've been there and kind of done that before, but I also understand the amount of time and effort necessary to devote to learning the tremolo technique. I'm probably looking at 6 months or so.

I wish I had taken that attitude the first time through. If so, I probably wouldn't be relearning it now. Don't get in too much of a hurry. Don't make my mistake. Take your time and do it right the first time.

No comments: